Friday, September 11, 2009

Cecil's Excellent Adventure 3

I've got a feeling these are going to be out of order. I'm trying to juggle a couple of blogs, emails, keep up with the news on Fox and talk to Cec several times a day. Here's either # 3 or #4. Bear with me.

"Fairfax, VA -- 9-10-09


This evening I drove into the city with the intention of going to Walter Reed. The traffic on the way in was horrible and I tried to figure out why they were going in and not home.. The capitol mall was covered with young folks playing games of every kind. I was struck by the normalcy. Runners, strollers, dawdlers; each following his own individual muse. The most dramatic was a squadron of Seg-Weys approaching the capitol. Parking was non-existent. The most encouraging thing I saw was the large number of buses from far flung places.. I am assuming that the larger number than expected is a good predictor for the march on Saturday.

9-11-09

It struck me that in a city devoted to monuments not only to long forgotten patriots and familiar presidents (they are on our money--if you have any left) there is casual disregard for both. Their faces remain familiar but what they stood for becomes increasingly forgotten. I drove past the old Justice Department where I worked years a ago and recalled a moment of fright from a night long ago night, as new employee of the FBI, working in the basement. In a sleepy haze I glanced up and looked out the high window. There was the shadowy figure of a man standing there. After a week of indoctrination and warnings about security I did what any loyal employee would do: I kept watch and waited for some movement. At 7am I became distracted by the day shift coming in and made a decision on the way out to investigate. It turned out to be a full size statue of Nathan Hale in full colonial regalia looking out over Constitution Avenue. I drove by last night and he is still there.

Like Nathan Hale, who remains, there is much in Washington to remind us of who we were and what we may continue to be. The men of character and self-less devotion are now memorialized not only in stone and marble but in also in the documents which enduringly last. Are we the equal of those men and women of character who contributed everything to the cause of liberty? Will we "pledge our lives, our treasure and our sacred honor?" They went forth with full knowledge in advance of their fate if they were detected or captured in the pursuit of freedom. Our odds (we are now nearly 100 times more populous) are greater but our voices are also watered down as a result. Our risk is far less but our message is no less important. Perhaps, it is more important since it is a voice to a much larger segment of people.

I used to believe that California represented the pinnacle of selfishness and consumerism. I am now convinced that I was wrong: I am smack dab in the middle of it right here. I guess I'm just alarmed because it is so obvious that the "servants" of the people have it so much better than their paymasters. The bucket which holds hypocrisy is never full; there is always room for more. I always just nod and grin when I hear wild-eyed loons rant and rave about secede from the coastal elites.. They sound less crazy by the day.

More later, for now I need to get to the center of the action.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon"

No comments: