Friday, August 27, 2010

An Absolute Outrage !!!

I am ever so grateful to Pajama’s Media for this article on Instapundit which appeared last night. Be warned!! I got so mad reading that linked article that I blew my beverage all over the keyboard, kicked the dog, yelled at my wife and screamed imprecations on the congress, the Department of Justice, and anyone remotely connected to the government.

As a veteran, and a citizen, I take the disenfranchisement of those who lay their lives on the line to protect my sorry butt and yours very seriously. Five states asked for and received waivers from the MOVE Act to allow them to NOT get their absentee ballots on the way on time to be executed, returned and tallied. By so doing, with the lamest of excuses, they effectively deny the right to vote in a national election to those persons who volunteered to defend our country in foreign lands. Is it not obvious that no single class of Americans should be more entitled to vote than our military?

I recall a cold November night back in 1952. I was private, E-2 in training at Ft. Devens, Mass. and lived off post with my wife in Cambridge. I had heard that Ike was making his final speech before the election from a local TV/radio station so we went over to see him. We stood waiting among a handful of onlookers and finally he and Mamie came out to the waiting car. As he glanced over at me, (I was in uniform) I rendered my best version of a salute—which he immediately returned with a smile. By that time the next evening, he was the President-elect.

In retrospect, I believe he had aged fifteen years during that campaign. As his term wore on, he appeared to regain his vigor but it had obviously taken much from him. Within two months, I was on the USS Marine Carp with 2500 other enlistees headed for Germany where I stayed through the next election in ’54. Iowa sent me a ballot well in advance and I had no difficulty voting. It is a memory which I will cherish and no doubt take to the grave.

This is a matter with serious consequences. Our defenders in uniform are citizens unlike any others who seek to exercise their franchise. They have more than earned their right to have their voice heard. To deny that right through political caprice is a vile device. If you haven’t clicked on that link yet, do it now so you can feel like kicking the dog and yelling at your wife. While you’re there, take note of the political disposition of the states which have taken it upon themselves to deny their citizens the vote.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: