Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dear Ones,

I thought that you might like to see a shot of Jan and some of her closest buddies. She's showing off the new laptop we just bought. As you can see, they are all pretty impressed.

Be assured that I will do every thing in my power to learn how to use the thing and adjust to Vista Home Premium. I have to hurry because I am entitled to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out this fall so I have the opportunity to relearn everything one more time. Everybody and his brother on the net had notified me that I was operating an antique system (Windows 98) and they would no longer support it. Heck, it was only ten years old.

As a consequence of the purchase, we now have 1600% more random access memory, 540% more hard drive, an Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 processor and a gazillion more things I don’t understand. We are still saddled with “Wild Blue” for our satellite service which is fine if the wind doesn’t blow, the rain doesn’t fall, the snow doesn’t drift, the birds don’t alight in the vicinity and you can tolerate a download speed of 100 kps. The wonder of it is that it only cost about a 3rd of the one it replaced.. What do you think? Can I outlive the usefulness of this one too?

The toughest part of finding the right unit is locating one which is not geared for games, music, and endless video. By foregoing those questionable uses, the price really comes down. I have been assured that the nine cell battery will hold a charge for 7 hours and that the carrying case is bullet proof. Since I plan to take it to DC in September, that may come in handy..

If any one is curious, it is a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960 which, as near as I can tell, is only available at Best Buy. A geek in Monett dumped the entire contents of the old one into the new unit in under two hours. It’s really weird to see all my old mistakes still remain. At least he didn’t charge extra for the opinionated writing in the “documents” he transferred. Seriously, I am grateful that the guy took the time to learn what he has and did a job which I had no possibility of accomplishing. I will admit, however, I was insulted that he transferred in two hours that which it took me ten years to accumulate.

One further drawback is the onboard satellite set-up. I am informed that if I go to Starbucks or Barnes and Noble and buy a cup of their lousy coffee and a stale muffin I may avail myself of their WI FI for no charge. I surely hope they don’t check my politics in advance.

Anyway, I managed to get this written so maybe it will not be the daunting learning experience I predicted. In the change over, it is possible I may not miss a lick. Please pray for my patience. It’s been wearing pretty thin today.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon


P.S. In the interest of reinforcing to you the mutual respect and high esteem in which we hold one another, I have included a photo of Cec with his new laptop. I think it captures the essence of the dear man:

Love,

Granny



No comments: