Thursday, March 13, 2008

Music: Take It From The Top!

Is it not amazing that some folks (me?) can be surrounded with truth and not recognize it? I mentioned in closing the Rant last Monday that I was uncomfortable with some of the participatory music in congregations I had been visiting recently. I had carelessly attributed the cause to a number of possibilities: youth attraction (guitars and drums,) simplicity for the masses, mindless repetition as a teaching tool or just a harmless trend.

Thinking more critically, I realize that the situation is more a sea change in the direction of the faithful. I have come to believe that it is a result of universal trend toward “top down” organizational structure within religious bodies. My earliest observations and awareness came from watching the Catholics fifty-sixty years ago. At that time, they rarely emphasized or encouraged independent bible study. Singing actual hymns was rare if not totally absent. I interpreted their services as being priest centered with little contribution from the worshippers other than altar boys. The service was more observation than participation. Happily for them, congregational involvement has escalated over the decades and represents a positive move for their members toward understanding Christ and the vital functions of His church.

The protestant bodies I have observed recently have proven a mix of attitudes. Lay members seem encouraged to participate from the pews and the lectern. Universally, they handle the announcements, are called on for prayer, read scriptures and perform other functions formerly reserved for the pastor. His primary role would appear to be the delivery of the sermon. In all cases I have seen, he has done a masterful job of presenting the case for Christ and the resultant benefits for the assembly. The rub comes when music is the issue.

The various pieces are projected upon a screen with only the lyrics shown with no accompanying music. The locals seem to know the tune but rarely present it with any vigor or understanding of the message. Perhaps as a result of advancing age, my hearing has difficulty picking up the voices over the cacophony of back up singers, guitars, drums, organ, and piano/keyboard. As I look about I see no real enthusiasm in the congregations for what is being sung but rather detached boredom by the repetition of pappy phrases. It really sums up to participation rather than praise.

I may be more sensitive to this than the average bear. My Lord has given me a shade more musical understanding than average and I truly thank Him for the gift. I sing nearly all hymns in bass and thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to supply the emphasis of the contrapuntal melody in that part so common in Restoration hymns. The pew behind the one I usually take is occupied by two ladies, one a capable soprano and the other with a strong rich alto, and we form the core constituency of a soprano-alto-bass choir. It offers to the balance of the congregation opportunity for a full-throated enjoyment of honoring the Master in song by following our lead.. Thus, the congregation becomes a choir in toto. This participation allows each member to be an active participant in the service and offer his voice to God.

After due consideration I have concluded that the former Catholic model and the current Protestant situation is a result of a tendency toward “top down” worship – in music at least. Aside from responsive readings which one rarely hears outside the Methodist Church, the only other activity that is universal is hymn singing. While we all participate in prayer, it is normally offered by one individual. Even taking the sacrament, limited to "believers" focuses on the singular relationship between each person and his very personal covenant with God. Putting aside my objection to the “new age” aspects of the lyrics, I decry the missed occasion for even the most passive among us to share these joyous moments. Our scriptures command us to lift our collective voices in honor and praise. I cannot imagine that this injunction was raised for no reason.

Any removal of the everyday member from the activity of seeking God is suspect in my mind. I truly believe that even if you are tone deaf and constantly sing flat, your God and mine understands and rejoices in your effort. To discourage the body from this activity thwarts the clearly stated request from the Almighty to “join together” and worship Him. He has often stated His opinion in this regard even as He seeks respect for His duly ordained. There is much to be gained by thoughtful consideration of the teachers and preachers, but even the least have their responsibilities.

So, there you have it. Now go "lift your glad voices!”

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: