Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Gideons




During twenty-five years of my life, I traveled extensively in various jobs. All of this involved highway transportation of one sort or another and is remembered with much affection. Being gone from home an average of 150 nights a year is part of that experience and it’s not for everyone. Of those 3750 nights, I generally found refuge in a hotel or motel. It was a rare experience to not find a Gideon Bible in the nightstand by the bedside.

These devoted people are celebrating the 100th anniversary of their founding today. Here is the AP story as it appeared on the knoxnews website; so click and enjoy. You will learn some things about the Gideons which you may not have known. For example: I always thought of them as supplying these sacred books exclusively to hotels and was unaware of their presence in schools, prisons, and the military.

Among the comments on the article, I found a testimony which roughly paralleled my own regarding the welcome presence of that wonderful book. Unlike the commenter, I didn’t kick it under the bed, but I did experience an inner peace which I found very welcome at the time. Opening the book at random before going to sleep was much like a visit with an old friend and uplifting regardless of what chance page appeared.

Congratulations to the Gideons on their first hundred years. I shall pray for their continued success and the strength to continue their efforts.


In His abiding love,


Cecil Moon


No comments: