Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday Morning Rant 42

Sunday morning was an absolute delight. The drive over to Miami was exceptionally beautiful in spite of the left over high water and tornado damage. It served as a reminder that those of us who did not suffer loss or inconvenience have much to be thankful for. You can easily see evidence of caring on the part of their neighbors, friends and families.

We were treated to the blessing of a tiny little girl and a rousing sermon from Mark Churchill. Mark hails from Australia and no one needed to announce the fact. His delivery of well prepared and thoughtful remarks was appreciated and I hope, taken to heart by all. It is always a pleasure to see young men assume the pulpit with such authority. I found his choice of subject matter especially appropriate—Jesus Christ.

Could we call it a “life” sentence?

After four plus years in the Ozarks I find little regret over that which I left behind in Las Vegas. That is, of course beside the family and friends, and the grandchildren. One thing I do miss is the Las Vegas Review Journal. This is probably attributable to the attitude of their editorial staff and our general agreement on the issues of the day. Fortunately, since the R-J is on line I don’t have to be shut out entirely. They have an excellent website which keeps me up to date on who shot who and which politico has embarrassed the electorate most recently.

One of their most articulate writers is a gentleman who is assistant editorial page editor. Mr. Vin Suprynowwicz, author of the “The Black Arrow,” has been with the R-J for years and is a highly experienced editor. Imagine my surprise when I found the following paragraph on a piece he wrote:

“First, before anyone tries to insist that 'most illegal aliens aren't on welfare,' let's stipulate once again that the so-called 'public schools' are one of our most vastly expensive welfare programs -- a massive wealth redistribution scheme funding a humongous make-work government hamster wheel that loots money under threat of force from the paychecks and bank accounts of those who choose to educate their children at their own expense or to bear no children at all, and transfers it to 'benefit' those who care so little for their own offspring that they are content to have their spirits broken and their young minds 'molded' by paper-pushing government functionaries I wouldn't trust to train my cat.”

We shall visit what he says presently but for now I have a question; is that the longest sentence you ever saw in your life? One hundred fourteen words and I’ll bet he thought of something he wishes he’d added before the day was over. I found the thought so arresting that it didn’t even dawn on me to think about the mechanics until later. Vin, you are no doubt the champ.

If you are interested in the rest of the piece I would suggest you click here. He is, as you will see, a libertarian of the first water and leaves little doubt as to his opinion. Agree or disagree, his openness is refreshing.

Minnesotans for Global Warming

We have regular readers who have recently moved to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan from Wisconsin. Adrienne and Philip and family are on our minds and in our prayers always as they forge a new life as “Youppers.” Having driven the Greyhound run to Calumet on the Keweenaw Peninsula in the dead of winter, I fully realize the rigors of the north. The parking meters are on the sides of the buildings at eye level. They average 280 inches of snow per year and the streets are merely tunnels through the snow.

Elmer and Daryl are neighbors in Minnesota and they put together a tape to musically express their feelings on the desirability of global warming. If your internet connection routinely runs feeds I think you will enjoy their offering. Since I’ve been through it, I can easily understand their urgency in having a little of that global warming for their very own.

Floods and Old Friends

Six of my most formative years were spent in the towns along the Cedar River in Iowa. From age 12 to 18 I had strong ties from Waterloo/Cedar Falls through Cedar Rapids and on to nearby Iowa City. I married a girl from Cedar County. I went to scout camp at Inguanas on the Cedar. This was my back yard during some of the happiest days of my life. You can then imagine my horror at watching coverage of the devastation as a result of their recent and ongoing flooding.

I have called my old classmates—the few that are left—to check on them and get the latest news on events which affect their lives. Although none—thank God—are in immediate danger or need assistance they join me in recoiling in dismay at the circumstance. Each of us has a similar memory of each of these flooded areas. Those I talked to have opened their arms and their homes to others, known and strangers, to give assistance.

In reading pages on the web devoted to coverage of the events, I note in the comments that most are not content to wait for the government to come and rescue them. Their concern is making the best of it, surviving, and starting over. There is a strong contingent of the US Coast Guard out of St Louis ready for rescue operations but the people have followed the evacuation orders so the there is little need.

I remain convinced that the people of this country are far stronger than the politicians who represent them. They willingly share with others, care for the poor and disadvantaged, and gravitate to good. It’s not just Iowa, I see it nearly everywhere. We are so deluged by the doom and gloom of the press that it is refreshing to see average citizens rise to meet a crisis and handle it without a focus group. They refuse to wait for a “hand out” before they give a “hand up.”

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: