Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Foolish Man

One of my brothers in Christ is constantly supplying me with sayings, mottoes, and pithy observations which provoke much thought and introspection. Although I detest “sound bite” wisdom some times these little gems encapsulate some very profound thoughts. I often use them for the subject of meditation and inner examination.

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet.” (James Oppenheim)

I believe this speaks directly to those of us who are impatiently waiting for Jesus to appear. I am surrounded by those whose principal concern seems to be awaiting His arrival to enjoy the fruits and rewards of their righteousness. They seem constantly distressed and preoccupied with the anticipation to the point of ignoring the here and now. I have personally concluded that the end times are much better seen through the sweat of working for the Master in the vineyard we have than in plowing some field of dreams and expectations. The old hymn says; “work for the night is coming.” The operative word is work. If we are not giving it our all now how can we possibly believe that we will enjoy better results tomorrow?

“What you possess in the world will be found at the day of your death to belong to someone else. What you are will be yours forever.” (No attribution)

This one pretty well summarizes the difference between the spiritual and the temporal. As a father and a grandfather, the legacy of what I am concerns me more and more. Is my life an example and testimony of Jesus Christ? Will I be remembered for prettily wrapped trinkets or lasting wisdom and principal? When someone in the future starts a conversation, “Like grandpa use to say, ….. .” I hope the audience doesn’t giggle but rather ponder. I pray the information then imparted causes them to remember and seek a proper direction in the matter at hand.

I absolutely believe that what “I am” not what I was or “tried to be”, will govern the “forever” part of the quotation. God knows and I am more than willing to trust his judgment. This does not imply an assertion of prospective glory but rather a faith in the fairness of our Father in heaven.

“You can never do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Since I have lost close family members recently, I may be preoccupied with my own mortality. I made death bed observations of the recriminations and regret expressed by those on the brink of eternity when they suddenly realized their opportunities were slipping away. I suppose if we live each day as though it were the eve of our departure we might do some things a little differently. The harsh word, the unimportant contention, and the unrighteous action have no place in our current lives not just because of the affect on others but worse, the inventory of our own activity.

There are many more of these which I will bring forth from time to time. One of the great things about our mutual faith is the opportunity to have friends who unselfishly share all they have to enrich your work. Harley Stanbridge is one of mine and if he knew you, he would be yours as well. Thanks brother Hartley.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: