Monday, October 29, 2007

Monday Morning Rant (10)

Given the ebb and flow of events in Independence, I normally have little difficulty finding subjects for the “rant.” I must be still aglow from being covered up with grandkids. They were, literally, covering me up at both locations I visited. What the attraction is in a gnarly old man I can not imagine. They apparently don’t see that. They deliver unconditional love and affection on a full time basis to nearly everyone they encounter. The great grandchildren seem exceptionally drawn to the father of their grandpa. They love their church, their little friends, their parents, their siblings and are agreeable on just about every subject except stewed tomatoes and broccoli.

Since I maintain that we can learn from everyone, I find the lessons they teach especially compelling. They understand acceptance. I, like my brothers and sisters in the faith, often wish to hurry things along and see the fulfillment of the gospel promise in my lifetime. I ignore the Savior's words of coming in His time frame. While resisting the seductive promises of the hierarchy, I recognize the importance of the law and the promises of God, as opposed to plans drawn by the men in charge. They (the little ones) honor their parents and elders and yield to them for direction at the expense of their own selfish interests.

They honor the truth. They are transparent and expect adults to be. When a four year old questions an ugly black mole on one’s head, it is an honest question. The reply is (and was) expected to be forthright and honest. In the exchange, someone said, “That’s not polite.” I disagree. These kids can ask me anything. I recognize no malice but rather a desire to satisfy an honest curiosity. How else can they learn?

They greet life with a positive outlook and a cheerful heart. Here I speak not just to my grandkids, but to small folks in general. How many times in a supermarket have I passed a child with a sour looking parent obviously troubled by who knows what, who invariably returns my smile with enthusiasm. Any little joke or funny look provokes laughter and reveals the purity within. That evidence of inner joy is uplifting to all and repays the difficulties of raising children.

It is this malleable clay which we shall use to mold the future of our families, church, and communities. More important, they shall become the foundation of the body of Christ’s believers if so led. The New Testament is replete with examples of Christ bending to share Himself with children. They, recognizing His goodness, flocked to Him, and He, recognizing their goodness, responded in kind. Have we learned to do as much?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my absence, I had hoped that things would settle down and we could all love and trust one another in the pursuit of the Zionic condition so necessary for our continued success. Instead, I found we escalated our mistrust. The hope of forming a legitimate forum beyond the congregational level seems to be slipping from our grasp. The dreaded “name” situation seems to have cooled down somewhat but I am sure it will rear its ugly head again. Selfishly, we have the idea that our problems are unique to our generation. We have only to turn to our scriptures to find ancient peoples getting right with God and then when He is not needed to suppress an opposing army or to feed the multitudes, they turn to other gods to worship. We are no better. I believe the villain in the piece is “praying for.” We pray for healing. We pray for blessing on the food. We pray for the gifts of the Spirit.

When, in our prayers do we acknowledge His power? When do we recognize His majesty? Do we take seriously His omnipotence? It is only through Him and the sacrifice of the Son that we can have any hope of eternal life. It is only when we recognize our pathetic tiny role in the scheme of things that we, too, can be raised beyond our highest expectations. God is not some egomaniac looking for sycophants to boost His self worth. He is looking for those of strength and humility to help with the effort. This is not an offer of part time employment. It is a full time job; but, oh, the benefits.

So, let’s pause and take a deep breath. Let’s spend some time thinking about who the Boss is here. Let us make certain that every thought and action is in accordance with those things which we have learned and if in doubt, learn more. To study and learn the will of God is a certain path to banishing fear and enabling us to serve Him as He dictates.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: