Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Fact or Fallacy?

In the Book of Revelation the word "like" is used 16 times, according to Strong's Concordance. I realize it is not a Restoration concordance, but it's all I have for the time being. I understand the word to be used as a simile, utilizing everything from gemstones to frogs in the case of the Book of Revelation. I understand it. I have no problem with it. What I have a problem with is Rev. 1:13 and 14:14.

I'm no Bible scholar. But I do like to search and research. A year or so ago I was the recipient of a declaration from the mouth of a fellow saint. The person who is referred to in Rev. 1:13 (And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. Italics added) and Rev. 14:14 (And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle. Italics added) is Joseph Smith. Yes, it's a run-on sentence, but I needed to get it all in here.

When I disagreed, stating it is Jesus Christ, I got a pitying look and the question, "Can't someone be like the Son of man?" I said , "No," and it went downhill from there.

The reason I'm bringing all this up again is that the issue was raised in Sunday School this past Sunday. I did my "I disagree" thing, stopping short of screaming blasphemy, and got some more pitying looks and a few condescending remarks. However, I did hear a few say they agreed with me.

Now I'm confronted with Hebrews 7:3. For this Melchizedek was ordained a priest after the order of the Son of God, which order was without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life. And all those who are ordained unto this priesthood are made like unto the Son of God, abiding a priest continually. (Italics added)

So, where am I going with this? To whom do the two passages in Revelation refer? Are they in any way connected to the passage in Hebrews? If the Son of man in Rev. is Joseph Smith where does this leave Jesus Christ? Is it dangerous to venerate Joseph Smith? If any of you out there are still speaking to me I would love to hear from you.

In His love

Seeker

1 comment:

One of the Moons said...

This comment is actually from Steve Kendall, who emailed me yesterday. He has given me permission to post it here:

I believe that the person in Rev. 1:13 is indeed Jesus Christ. If you read the rest of chapter 1 and into chapter 2 it seems pretty clear that it is Jesus Christ. The person referred to in Rev. 14:14 is probably not Jesus Christ. If you read the rest of the chapter it sounds like he is an angel. He is also told to thrust in his sickle by the other angels which Christ is probably not told to do anything by the angels. The angel could be Joseph Smith. Adolph Lundeen wrote a book called "Three Visitations of Christ and His Coming in Glory" (It is available to read on centerplace.org library) which talks about seven dispensational angels. He says Joseph Smith is one of those angels. I don't know of any scripture which will prove that point but I suppose it could be inferred from Lundeen's writing that it could be Joseph Smith. I enjoyed reading Lundeen's book. He uses a lot of scripture in it. However, short of a seeing the vision John saw I don't know if anyone, at this time, can know for sure who is talked about in the Rev. 14:14 passage. I don't know that it matters if we know who it is? I am sure you will agree it is far more important to be a part of the Kingdom of God.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve Kendall