Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Geezer Reflects on a Revolution

What drives people to assemble from an entire nation to a single place to voice a single opinion? I suspect the answer lies in my own motivation. Over the years I have had many advantages to observe other countries, other systems of government, and behavior—both good and horrendous—of a variety of peoples. Opinions vary among our own citizens on the nature of governance we can tolerate. They also manage to disagree on any number of other issues as well. On the occasion of 10, 11, and 12 September, 2009, the petty differences disappeared and the mutual necessity for a unilateral return to principle and love of country reappeared.

I have tired of trying to accurately calculate the crowd who jammed Washington, D.C. on those dates. Just pick a number—850k, 1m, 1.2m, or as CNN reported early on, at least a thousand. As an eye witness, I may assure you that it was a sea of people. The number was large enough that it was impossible to get close enough to see the speakers. With a superb sound system, their voices could be easily heard everywhere. What was really important was that they came from far and wide to have their voices heard and their presence noted.

Over the years I have visited places and seen things which made my heart swell with pride in my country. Some I noted in prior postings on the way to Washington. Others are less immediately available. On a visit to the liberated concentration camp at Dachau I thrilled over the role of the United States in freeing the survivors and insuring no repetition of the horror. More recently, I followed carefully the flotilla of US ships and aid to the Tsunami victims. I read with immense joy the contributions our citizens and government have made to Africans afflicted with the deadly AIDS virus. No matter the tragedy, be it world war, disease, or natural disaster, my country is standing as a protector of the disadvantaged. Not least, the greatest thing about any trip abroad is returning past Bedloe’s Island, seeing the Statue of Liberty surrounded by multiple poles flying “Old Glory.” If you truly care about America, it will bring a tear of joy to your eye.

I covered nearly nine miles milling through endless throngs of my fellow citizens on 9/12 in D.C. It was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. I have never been prouder to be an American or more convinced that I was witnessing a turning point from the happenings of the last eight months. I was engulfed by people who understand the

Protections of the Constitution, the intent of the founders, and most important, had a voluntary willingness to leave their comfy couch and march for Freedom.

I spoke with many and found them knowledgeable, ably conversant on government, and eager to do what it takes to restore our liberties. To a man (woman and child) they clearly understood the necessity to peacefully assemble and air their grievances. They accomplished this without a hint of rowdyism, violence, or civil disturbance of any sort. Police officers I spoke with, although on the alert, admitted that it was the best behaved large group they had seen. Universally, they showed respect for each other, law enforcement and the grounds upon which they stood. I found the lack of any trash accumulated as the hallmark of that respect. In any large crowd, people bump into each other and the possibility of conflict occurs. On 9/12 the only words heard were “excuse me please,” “pardon me,” or “sorry about that.” Each person demonstrated an absolute consideration for their neighbors. I heard no expletives—even when talking about the administration—and saw no drunkenness.

Since I wore a black vest with a small bore target stapled to the back with the words “RIGHT WING EXTREMIST” in bold letters around the outer ring, I was frequently asked to stop so someone could take a picture. The request was always accompanied with a polite please and a thank you after the fact. On the rare occasions I found a place to lean or sit for a moment, I found my new companions eager to make a place and engage in conversation. We were all friends from the “git-go.” I have never felt safer or more secure in my person in other large gathering I have ever attended.

After the fact, I am distressed that so many feel compelled to downplay the event even though I do understand their motives. If I were part of the current administration I doubt I would be anxious for the nation to be aware of the intensity of disapproval shown by the gathered multitude. Think about it. How often do hundreds of thousands of people come to town to suggest you are wrong on most every issue? Keep in mind; we came from every state in the union. Early on I carried a Missouri State flag but took it back to the car because it dawned on me that I came to protest the actions of the United States government.

After nine previous Tea Parties and visits to offices of legislators it is tempting to think of this event as the big finale. That temptation should be avoided at all costs. We are just at a point of raw beginning. Those who engineer the destruction of America and our way of life have only just begun. We should all clearly understand that this effort will not be fulfilled until the last corrupt, greedy, vile person in government has been forced aside and replaced with those who have the interests of all the people at heart. We can survive this moment in our history if each person realizes that we are under an all-out assault from the destroyers of the republic. There is obviously no end point. The price of liberty is to remain constantly alert to dangers from within and without.

There is a line which is popularly attributed to, but unconfirmed, by Naval Field Marshal General Isoroku Yamamoto on the news of Japan’s successful attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." I believe his words to be as prophetic today as they were 68 years ago. Our administration has done just that. I saw a people awakend to peril to the republic. I saw ordinary citizens in a state of alarm over the developments over the last few months. I saw those who fear for our beloved country and are more than ready to take action. I truly believe I saw the future in their eyes.


In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: