Sunday, January 27, 2008

Monday Morning Rant 22

I am about to embark on dangerous territory here. We have a lot of inside jokes. Most successfully married (in Hollywood, that is defined by being in excess of six days) people find themselves able to anticipate their mate's reaction and even the words they are about to speak. They often finish each others' sentences and I see it as a testimony to the close relationship which so delights our God. We “join” in marriage and are counseled to become “one.”

Often, however, others have difficulty understanding a married couple who have achieved this closeness. What may seem amusing or clever to us as a married unit may not seem as understandable by others. One of the canards we hold as truth at our house is not always appreciated by some of our friends. It goes like this: “All women are crazy and all men are selfish.” Now doesn’t that sound like something a redneck husband with a feminist wife would come up with? Really, I’d like to think we are neither.

It is a useful device which we use to disarm impending conflict. In nearly every case we are able to extract some wisdom from it and find usable solutions. Sometimes, we proclaim the opposite: “Men are crazy and women are selfish.” A fraction of both descriptions is applicable in nearly every circumstance. As I discussed in a previous post (Selfishness) we are hardwired to follow our self interest so that part of the equation is inescapable. The history of “crazy” people among us really needs no example; the woods are full of them.

If you want to see a crazy woman, attack her children either verbally or physically. If you have a death wish, criticize her cooking. For absolute mania in its finest hour; find fault with your mother-in-law. You with experience in the marital arts have your own unique stories to tell.

A sample of the principle may be discerned by asking any man whether he would rather have a new bass boat or a remodeled kitchen. They cost roughly the same amount. Another test would be to see who has custody of the TV remote. If it’s anywhere close to “kick off,” we readily know the answer.

If you want to see both in one example, try the following. A man returns from town and reveals he remembered the dog food and forgot the kitty litter. Or better yet, he went to Wal-Mart and picked up the 9/16th socket and forgot her prescription. Is this starting to sound familiar? These are the faux pas which pick a marriage apart.

I would suggest that any device available to diffuse the impending disaster should be labeled “BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF . . .” At our house we willingly stand and accept the accusation of both crazy and selfish since we recognize it contributes to peace in our little paradise. Try it; you’ll come to appreciate it in time.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Many of my dear close friends among the Saints seem preoccupied with the current crop of doom and gloom predictions. Some heed the warnings about the close of the current Aztec (or is it Mayan?) calendar coming to a close in 2012. Others watch the History channel and reinforce their belief we will all be consumed by fire, earthquake, flood or natural disaster at any moment. Oops, so sorry, I left out the meteor. Every sect, cult, coven and congregation has a view of the end times. Some turn to the scriptures for confirmation of these upcoming events. There certainly is no shortage of prediction within those sacred tomes.

The canon leaves no doubt of the eventuality of these events. There is little question in my mind that God at some time or another will extract a terrible retribution upon those who continue to ignore His teachings. I’ll spare you endless quotes because you could probably do a better job of assembling them than I. Genesis to Revelation is replete with prediction and example of what to expect. I believe it.

What I don’t believe is that God is going to go about wasting the faithful in the process. Where is the scriptural precedent for that? He is very clear in projecting the outcome for the sinner and those who reject His word. How about those who embrace the gospel and do their level best to promulgate the message? Are they in danger as well? I’m sorry, I just don’t see it. Aside from collateral damage, I find it difficult to image that we (believers) will be intentionally targeted for destruction.

The New Testament makes the calamitous condition of Jerusalem at the time subsequent to the crucifixion very clear. I don’t remember reading of injuries or death on the part of those who believed the teachings of the Master as a result of that destruction. I’m certain that if I am wrong someone will point it out and I shall be grateful for the further education. The scripture presents a picture of “either, or” and allows us to choose one. If I choose to believe and love God, I am assured I have little to fear at His hand. If I choose not to, the “or” comes into play and it’s my own fault.

When I was a boy, my father took me to New York City. One of my most vivid memories was a nearly naked man walking on the street with a “sandwich board” draped over his front and back with the words: “REPENT NOW, THE END IS NEAR!” scrawled on both sides. That was in 1939. Now, sixty-nine years later, it is still good advice, but hardly predictive of imminent disaster.

It strikes me that the upshot of this is a clarion call to work for the Master, carry His message, love our neighbors be prepared to accept whatever He gives. I do not fear that which is predicted by men. I do fear that my actions are not constantly pleasing to God. Better we should all concentrate on perfecting our own lives and not pay so much attention to those who portray God as an instrument of destruction.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: