Sunday, December 2, 2007

Monday Morning Rant (15)

The “Rant” is the most difficult to compose just after the sacrament service on the first Sunday. I feel closer to Christ, His purposes, His teachings and the example of His life. I always feel more strongly the burden of sin and the desire to shake the remaining vestiges of my former life. The effect on me then is to refrain from being confrontational and to stifle my tendency to immediately retort to that which I don’t believe to be true.

One of the life lessons I have been taught through examination of Christ’s earthly life through the scriptures is His attitude toward false teachings. He confronted them directly, forcefully, and gave them the names they deserved. He was unimpressed by the office or the title of anyone working against His will. His teaching style was one to be admired and should be adopted by our modern educators. If one agreed with the truth he was blessed. Those teaching other than the truth were condemned and shamed. I don’t recall any offering of shades of gray. When doubt remained, He was quick to offer an illustrative parable. The Master was a great teacher but loath to countenance nonsense.

A good (and faithful) friend wrote me recently criticizing one of my posts about the dust up over published allegations against Richard Price. Since it was intended to be private correspondence I shall not reveal the source. This person, with a heart of gold, suggested that youth and lack of experience prompted the unfounded accusations. As a father of five and grandfather of twenty, I am more than familiar with just how stupid kids can be. Had it been one of mine I would have suggested that well known truism that one doesn’t pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel. Nor does one disrespect a venerable elder with an impeccable history who has performed a generous service as publisher to the church and to its members. Had he been mine, I would have asked myself where I went wrong in his upbringing and made every effort to direct him to more righteous directions.

My friend also pointed to an apology which was printed on the center place discussion board. Since it is controlled by persons with the ability to censor the content and the length of exposure, I am not surprised that the entire posting was deleted. I think the apology would have been better directed to the aggrieved party by snail mail with the permission to publish it in Vision. It was so short-lived I never had a chance to see it, so I don’t know much about it. Again, is there no one to counsel this lad?

My friend also mentioned some other folks and their blogs. The suggestion was made that we are providing a divisive attitude within the body of Saints. It would hurry Zion Beckons to average thirty-five readers a day, so I don’t really see us as much of a force to influence the greater body. Mention was made that we should focus on the things we have in common and the goals we share. I certainly agree as long as that which we have in common, universally, is the love of Jesus Christ and the goal we have is the establishment of His kingdom here and now. I confess that anyone who strays from those criteria is subject to derision on these pages.

One final note on the matter concerns the willingness of a youngster in the faith to evidence such interest. I find that laudable even if I disagree. I assume that he was driven by some inner desire to correct what he felt to be a wrong. I certainly hope no one else would have put him up to it. Surely any adult would realize you don’t send a boy to do a man’s work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like any cancer patient, my brother Craig has had his ups and downs. As you know, the treatment can be as cruel as the disease. At the close of the week he suffered a seizure in the doctor’s office, which resulted in re-hospitalization and additional testing. It is very likely I shall travel again to Chicago soon to “help” out. Please continue your prayers as the issue is still in doubt. May God bless you all for your support.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the midst of our eternal political season I find it difficult not to enter the fray. I had a recent entry on “Thinking”. Although I put a candidate’s name in the punch line I am sure you have figured it out that you can substitute any name you wish. It’s not my wish to intentionally offend.

Speaking of “offend,” have you noticed that a Holy Book now accompanies nearly all the Sunday appearances of the candidates? They all seem to manage a photo-op on the church (temple/cathedral/stake) steps. Generally they are shown gripping the hand of the pastor (monsignor/elder/prelate) and gushing over his timely sermon (homily/message/?) to the flock to which they pretend to belong. One wonders if they didn’t have a driver if they could actually find the church. If you find this question important I guess you’ll have to figure it out for yourself at election time.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

3 comments:

wapiti said...

Cecil,

Not having had a chance to read the lads comments it is difficult to say if they were right on or not. I would like to draw attention to your last comment about “sending a boy to do a man’s work”. At times God has called upon boys to do man’s work. David, Joseph Smith, the sons of Mosiah, to name a few. Adults may realize that you shouldn’t send a boy to do man’s work, but apparently God does not always realize that fact.

There are plenty of adults that have sent paper letters around about people that are utter nonsense. They have skewed things and twisted things and misrepresented things that took place. Yet, because they have experience on their side, their opinion is valued above many others.

In my experience, the Lord does not always choose the ones you would think of to do His work. Often times those “most qualified” lack certain qualities that the Lord requires to promote his standards (I Cor 1:27-28). If I were you, I would examine myself and the lad’s claims to make sure that he is not a messenger from God sent to correct you instead of some pawn sent by some “conspiracy of men” as you suppose.
As you expressed earlier, “the Lord does not countenance nonsense.”

Anonymous said...

Cecil:

I believe if the individual has access to the thread that involved the allegations, he will discover that the apology was not to Richard Price, but to another individual - and not regarding the comments/allegations involving Richard Price. If there is an apology that was issued it would be interesting to see it, since no one seems to be able to produce it.

Not surprisingly there is apparently nothing be said by the person claiming copyright violations by Richard Price.

Of course, there is the possibility that the board would not permit an apology to be posted for fear of opening up the deleted issue.

Anonymous said...

I have a copy of the entire thread that is the subject of your Monday Rant. The young man did not apologize to the Price's. He did in fact apologize to another young man and not in a civil and proper manner. In fact it added salt to the wound of the offended.

I believe that at some point in the thread the offending fellow had help with his further denigration of the Price's as his style of writing did change for several posts.

The young man did not have good counsel in good Christian or even civil correspondence. I was the only one that made mention to him that it appeared to the readers that his manner of apology lacked sincerity other than the offended party. I was reprimanded for my post by the moderator and the young man was told he had done no wrong what so ever. If he had been one of my six sons he would have written a personal and public apology to the Price’s on the spot. Sometime young people must be forced to do the right thing and then find out why it was right in time. MANY TIMES MY CHILDREN HAVE THANKED ME FOR MAKING THEM DO THE RIGHT THING EVEN WHEN THEY DID NOT WANT TO DO IT.

My understanding of the situation is that the young offender is the one person hurt the most by his own action as he never did to the right thing. Shame on his parents, mentors, priesthood, site moderators and of course himself.

The Price’s deserved much better from him AND the many others that took part in disparaging them in that thread. Those that truly know God through Jesus Christ understand that the Price’s are completely devoted to serving their Master and Savior Jesus Christ. I thank the Lord God for their service and diligence through all the persecution they have endured throughout their long years of service. May they long endure to the end and hear those precious words, “Well done good and faithful servants”.

Adrienne Keranen