Thursday, December 20, 2007

“It Went Away”

She came to me the other night as I labored at my desk. “Honey," the universal introduction to matters trivial and mighty in a typical marriage, “take a look at this will you?” Since we firmly believe that our union is the product of the intent of God we both treat each other with equivalent respect. “Uh-huh. Let me finish typing this line,” I responded without looking up.

She lowered her head under the desk lamp and, pointing to a spot equivalent to where a label on a shirt would normally be, and asked plaintively, “What is it?” Since the corrective lens in my glasses revealed nothing amiss on her skin, I seized the magnifying glass (see: Sherlock Holmes) and started a detailed inspection of the nape of her neck. Still nothing came to my eye to reveal the cause of any discomfort. Once she took her finger and clearly identified the offending spot I was able, largely through discernment, to spot a pin-prick size interruption in the skin. No color variation, it was merely a deviation in the texture of the skin.

The next question was inevitable. “What is it?” Dear reader, I have decades of experience in the arts of marriage but still confess I have never been able to frame the word “nothing” in any palatable way. Any truthful response is doomed to failure. You are left then with only invention. Serious: perhaps a biopsy could reveal whether it is malignant. Academic: further research and study may be required to fully answer your inquiry. Pious: perhaps we should seek the elders to attend to the matter with supplication and prayer. Flippant: this is probably the result of your last tussle with our pet alligator. It didn’t go well.

As I reflect on the transaction, I extend it to include many interchanges we have with others of our acquaintance whether intimate or casual. Often we encounter those who have issues in their lives, be they physical, spiritual or emotional which are not highly visible. Being out of sight does not minimize their importance to the afflicted one. Failures to attempt to recognize, treat, or simply empathize with others then do not likely acknowledge the scriptural teachings we have in such abundance. The Master demonstrated total understanding of the people He encountered. Not just sin, but also faith and goodness. While we cannot duplicate His gifts, we can acquire an inner atmosphere to better see into the people we love, and genuinely appreciate everything going on their lives. Given His teachings, I assume that includes everyone you meet.

The mere presence of a sincere interest in others can often be palliative. Our most often used throwaway line in common daily use is: “How are you?” Do we really care? Should we really say, “I’m in great shape but I feel obligated to ask about your well being anyway?” The question, “How are you?” should logically be followed by silence on our part to receive the answer and take it seriously. It’s all part of getting out of ourselves and sharing with others.

Returning to the initial narrative, she came in this morning with an obvious insect bite on a delicate part of her anatomy. She embraced the suggestion of a dab of antibiotic ointment but rejected the offer to kiss it and make it well. When I inquired about the spot on the back of her neck, she replied; “It went away.”

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

No comments: