Monday, November 5, 2007

Monday Morning Rant (11)

A friend in Christ expressed himself recently on a discussion board with a notion that I had never really seriously thought about. The basis was that we misunderstand the idea of “all things in common.” His assertion was that it applied first and foremost to the commonality of doctrine of the body of Christ. He saw our appreciation of the law and the truths of the gospel as the foundation of our common sharing.

Like many, I have only thought of that as applying to the common use of our collective resources. I’ve always considered it from the stewardship perspective. I felt it was about exercising the financial laws. I am now engaged in rereading the scriptures and have come to believe that my friend has something here. Previously, since it was always coupled with the expression, "there shall be no poor among us," I was led to the temporal and not the spiritual. It only makes sense that we can have no unity if we have variant beliefs.

Recently I was involved with some folks expressing concerns about doctrinal differences which seemed fundamental. Some seemed willing to allow for differences within the body to ensure we all get along. I didn’t share that opinion. To me, the truth is the truth. If I see it on an inspired page of scripture, I believe it. In my reading I came across the following attributed to a man familiar to many of our older readers – Evan Fry:

“There are some beliefs that don't matter. If I believe that we should have corn tonight for supper and my wife believes we should have beans, we probably compromise--corn one night, beans another."

The laws of God's Kingdom and of God's universe are inexorable, inescapable, and unchangeable. Sincere belief alone cannot save. Expert opinion cannot save. It is well to be tolerant of the opinions and beliefs of others, and to recognize their sincerity. It is well to wish for and work for Christian unity. But it is better to remember that the only safe unity is a unity based upon the truth, that one man believes and acts upon truth is mightier than hundreds of millions who believe and act on error.

If sincerity of belief was all that mattered, (Jesus) would have had no occasion to disagree with the Pharisees and Sadducees on matters of doctrine. They rejected his doctrine, and he, having in mind the deceitfulness and error and hypocrisy of their doctrine, warned, 'Beware the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.'

Christian people believe that followers of Christ should all be united. Not always, but often, these mergers have been accomplished at the expense of doctrine. Christian people say that we should be united; therefore if doctrine is the thing that divides, we will quit believing in, talking about, teaching, or stressing doctrine. This is a shaky foundation for unity. The only safe foundation for unity is truth and sound doctrine.”

I am grateful to Brother Fry for having written so succinctly that which I felt in my heart and did not have the ability to say.

In His abiding love,


Cecil Moon

4 comments:

Book of Mormon Warrior said...

Off Topic:

Recent things I see are starting to give me cause for concern. Are you folks moving away from faith in the Book of Mormon? Your posts at centerplace and your link to Hank Hennegraff's website are making me worry.

One of the Moons said...

I can assure you that Cecil is firmly grounded in the Book of Mormon and the other books. He will continue posting.

Anonymous said...

BOMwarrior used a phrase that really chaps me, and I don't think I am being too picky to raise up this complaint.

He says"...faith in the Book of Mormon."

Again, while I realize that some may think I am picking at nits, I consider this to be a fundamental issue in the church. In my opinion, we should not have faith in any, other than in (to, toward, upon...) God.
If one has "faith in" any book of scripture, that is a problem, I think, and it suggests a form of idolatry that is really the worst kind; that is taking something that should in its own right be considered inspired and God breathed and therefore, respected, and elevating it to a point of irrational devotion.

It is interesting that he cites Hank Hannegraff's wbesite as an indication of your suspected straying, because Hank himself, and many of his cohorts come perilously close to Bible idolatry, which is what bomw seems to be promoting.

Maybe I am misunderstanding bomw and others who use similar phrases and statements indicating the desirability of "faith in" things other than God.

Help me if I am missing something.
Matt

Book of Mormon Warrior said...

Yes, you are misunderstanding me Matt. "Faith in the Book of Mormon" in the sense I think of the phrase is faith that the Book of Mormon is God-inspired truth and profitable for doctrine.

BOMW