Friday, November 16, 2007

Hard Questions

I have recently had cause to meet with members of the priesthood to discuss some matters regarding the congregation and the church in general. I found a varied response to the issues I raised. I have drawn no conclusions as a result but I have had questions whirling in my mind.

Please do not interpret this post as an attack on the priesthood. I love them, each and every one. I have, over the last four decades, often sought them for leadership, direction and administration of the ordinances of the church and appreciated their response. I do not question for a moment, the validity of their calling. It is not my job to render judgment of these fine men.

Over the years, in several different employment positions I have found it helpful to quantify the job responsibilities for self-evaluation. Often an inward look provides an atmosphere to tweak my personal attitudes and behavior to improve my job performance. Honest answers can also stimulate increased activity in specific areas which many have been overlooked. It is also assumed in posing the following questions to those who would lead us to the full understanding of Christ and His Church would have scriptural references readily available and need no citation.

1. When was the last time you entered a baptismal font with other than a member of your immediate family?

2. When was the last time you went to a member’s home, not for Sunday dinner, but for a spiritual reason?

3. When was the last time you sought an elder, not a relative, of another branch for counseling, problem solution, or sharing the good news of Christ’s presence?

4. When was the last time you engaged in true fasting and prayer?

5. When was the last time you went to Independence with an open heart and mind to provide your own verifiable witness to the activities there?

6. When was the last time you added a book, tape, movie, DVD, or other spiritually oriented material to your collection?

7. When was the last time a member of the congregation (not your family) sought you out for spiritual guidance?

8. Is your local group, branch, or congregation growing, static, or diminishing?

9. Can you say, “To the best of my awareness, my own house is in order.”?

10. Are the laws and ordinances of the church clear enough in your minds that each priesthood member can uniformly state them without debate?

There is no need to share the answers to the above questions. This is a serious personal appraisal and, of course, is automatically shared with Him who knows your heart and mind. He is the only one with a full knowledge. My prayer is that each one can respond with a complete inventory of service, knowledge, love and faith which is acceptable to the Lord.

Before the “rank and file” get too comfortable thinking these questions are limited to the priesthood, be aware that your (my) list of questions will follow in a later post. The commitment to Christ is not the exclusive property of the ordained. The responsibility for the survival of this Restored Church of Jesus Christ is for each person who has emerged from the waters of baptism regardless of position.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cecil,

Can you please explain this question for me.

10. Are the laws and ordinances of the church clear enough in your minds that each priesthood member can uniformly state them without debate?

Do you mean by this, do I know what the ordinances are, as in being able to list them off?
Marriage, baptism, laying on of hands for healing(administration)....etc?

Just curious what you are getting at with this question.

Thanks,
Matt

One of the Moons said...

Matt,

I don't mean to sound snide but I truly believe that elders should have no difficulty defining the words "law" and "ordinance" as they apply to the church of Jesus Christ.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Cec

Anonymous said...

Cecil and Jan,
I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving also.
Please don't read any accusation of sniditity into my question about your question 10.
I am still not sure what you mean by it, even after your response.

I would appreciate to know what is behind the question, or what you mean by it. Have you had some experience that causes the question? Have you seen some confusion between law and ordinance? Is there a difference between law and ordinance in the church? As you know in the secular world an ordinance is a law. What is the distinction you make between the two in the context of church?
Your question suggests that you have seen some confusion that has disturbed you.
I am only trying to understand what your question means.
You can answer me privately (and confidentially of course) if you prefer.

Again, have a very blessed Thanksgiving. We are in TN with family and enjoying our blessings.

Matt