Monday, October 8, 2007

Monday Morning Rant (8)

While browsing some material the other day I came across an old “lefty” statement which resonated very strongly. “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” As is my wont, I immediately substituted “faithful loyalty” for “patriotism.”

While involuntarily deprived of my opportunity to join with other members of “my” church for twenty-plus years, my faith in God grew stronger along with the conviction that my dedication to the RLDS, with which I came in fellowship in 1967, grew apace. It was, and continues to represent to me an organizational structure with goals I share and beliefs I treasure.

Real families, the Cleavers notwithstanding, experience real problems and often run from one crisis to the next. As members, we recognize that our church family is often subject to criticism and dissent. Not necessarily as individuals, but surely as a body. This then leads to questions about that which we seek. Our central figure is rightfully Jesus Christ. Do we actually believe that? Are we so concerned with our “managers” that we have forgotten who the “Boss” is? Some assert that the “managers” have forgotten. I’ll leave that for discussion on another day.

My main concern today is our love of our existent faith in the here and now. Are we comfortable loving one another as well as those who would thwart our humble efforts in pursuit of Kingdom building? Every group has problems inasmuch as every group is made up of individuals with their own opinions, interpretations, and selfish interests. Poll them and see for yourself. Ask each about their favorite scripture, hymn, Old Testament hero, preacher, parable of Jesus, and other matters which occupy the interest of a typical member. I am certain you will find a widely varying group of opinions and all reflect the inner response to Jesus Christ. We follow Him for very personal reasons, anticipating an even more personal result, our personal salvation.

So then, do we demonstrate love for our existing faith or are we seeking the “Faith of the Future?” Are we so fixated on what’s to come that we may ignore what we have here and now? How can we possibly live a faith which is “just around the corner?” The faith I have followed for over four decades (with or without a building full of Saints) has buoyed and strengthened me on a daily basis. It has guided me successfully past some of life’s worst barriers. It has provided warmth and comfort to a troubled soul. The healings have been continuous as well as the answers to prayers which have immeasurably enhanced my life.

I agree we have a fellowship which faces some immense problems. I react to those difficulties as strongly as anyone. In the meantime, I hope I never fail to recognize that, warts and all, the Restored Church of Jesus Christ is the answer to all my questions in the future. It is my rock in a storm tossed sea. I do not expect perfection from my priesthood and fellow worshipers, but rather, turn to God for that quality. What I do seek from them is acknowledgement of the glory of the Father and his immense works today. I expect to see resistance to those who would destroy our church to “make it better.” I desire nothing less than a celebration of the wondrous institution we have now and not what it should be. From that base we can continue to glorify our Maker and actually build the Kingdom here on earth.

Criticism, although sometimes warranted, is only justified in the context of love. Dissent for its own sake is in my opinion the work of the adversary in many cases. To gain the church body we all pray for will require discussion, reasoning, and prayerful consideration. Let us all faithfully and prayerfully build it up rather than tear it down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will confess to you faithful readers that I absolutely lost it after a sacrament service yesterday. Looking forward to that service as an opportunity for renewal and acknowledgment of my commitment had been very much on my mind prior to the service. When the speaker gave his remarks I did fine until he chose to identify Joseph Smith as the “author” of the Inspired Version of the Bible, The Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants. He did not say translator, writer, revelator, or recorder. His statement was unequivocal in identifying Joseph Smith as the author of those works.

My first reaction was shock and disbelief. I then lapsed into sadness over the perceived loss of a trusted mentor on spiritual matters. After my personal selfish attitudes registered I gave deeper thought to how the remarks were an affront to God. He who has taught us everything, He who has healed life’s ills, and He who has set the path to our eternal salvation had been ignored. I vowed to challenge, at an appropriate time, the “shaming” of Almighty God.

I have, to the best of my ability, defended the role of Joseph Smith as prophet, translator (using tools provided by God), rightful leader and martyr for our beloved faith for forty years. As I have written before, his role in the formation of the church is extremely important and I have always believed he has had the confidence of his Maker. Like Moses, Isaiah, John and other important leaders and prophets, he was a man. Did they all have an extra special relationship with God and as a result come to be picked as servants to carry out his will? Yes. Did they then lose their identity as men and attain perfection? No. To deny Joseph’s imperfections as a man is to ignore the content of tens of thousands of pages of documents written by him and others about his life from Palmyra to Carthage.

Through prayer and meditation, I have received that “burning in the bosom” to verify the truths about Joseph Smith. This has included many inquiries about the sacred canon of our church. The conclusions which accompanied these prayers have never left any doubt in my mind about the true authorship of these books. They reflect the revealed words of God Almighty and none other. To reject this premise, in my mind and heart, is to reject the foundation of the Faith. Have I always understood every word I read? Obviously not. Has my understanding increased through exposure and strengthened faith over the years? Of course it has and I rejoice in it. For my part, to ascribe the authorship of these marvelous works to anyone else other than God is blasphemy. There is no kinder word to insert for the sake of political correctness.

After the sermon, I remained in my seat and partook of the emblems, served by elders of the branch and renewed the covenant and acknowledged the sufferings of my Savior for the remission of my sins. This exercise is important to me and, I believe, especially to God, so I could not entertain the thought of leaving before it was complete. We closed the service singing “The Spirit of God like a Fire is Burning . . . ," a hymn which symbolizes to me all that is right about our movement. It states basic truths and always lifts me to strive for greater goals. Once my faith was fortified, I proceeded through the vestibule and shared my dismay with the party who uttered the words.

My return to that venue will be governed solely by the results of extensive prayer. I feel comforted to know that it is a decision I don’t have to make by myself.

In His abiding love,

Cecil Moon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cec,
I am sure the elder really did not mean Joseph actually 'wrote' it. Surely an elder would not believe that. He probably was referring to him being the scribe or the go between.
What did he have to say in his defense when you spoke to him after church?
Just a few thoughts after reading your Monday Rant.
Blessings,
Joy